Automotive Technology Program Overview
- Certificate Program
- 2 Years
- Main Campus - Ironwood
GCC students have the opportunity to choose between the Certificate program and the
Associate of Applied Technology degree program. Please scroll through the page for
course offerings for each program type.
The 2-year certificate program covers the theory, diagnosis, and repair of the automobile. It is designed for those
students who want to gain the skills to become automotive repair technicians. Also,
it opens the door to several related employment possibilities in heavy equipment,
marine, trucking, and aircraft industries with some additional training.
The Associate Degree program includes all of the elements of the certificate program with the addition of general
education requirements. This program allows for additional employment options in automotive
management and business.
In both programs, lab skills are practiced using the latest equipment and procedures
to test, diagnose, and repair problems on late model cars and light trucks.
- The instructors are certified by the Michigan Automotive Technician licensing exams
and/or Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). View the ASE Accreditation here.
- The program curriculum is also certified by the National Automotive Technicians Education
- GCC’s automotive lab is outfitted with a host of modern repair equipment comparable
to that found in today’s most advanced service facilities.
- Upon completion o
f the course work in either program, students take state automotive technician licensing
exams. Upon passing the end of program testing, student will receive two-year probationary
Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in passed content area.
- Upon completion/passing of the HVAC course, students will be EPA Section 609 certified
for mobile refrigeration and handling and state of Wisconsin certified for HVAC service.
- Students will also receive a certificate of completion from Hunter Engineering for
alignment technician for successful completion in steering and suspension.