TrioStudent Support Services (SSS) is a 100% federally funded TRiO program authorized by the U.S. Department of Education. Each year, the SSS program at Gogebic Community College is awarded $294,719 to provide access and support to 160 students. In order to be eligible for the SSS program, students must meet one or more of the following criteria:1st generation college student, meet taxable income guidelines, or have a documented disability.
· TRIO Advisors for academics, personal, financial, and career areas
· Financial Aid Assistance
· Grant Aid
· Free Career and Life Skills course worth 2 social science credits
· Lunch & Learn workshops
· Campus Visits
· Cultural Activities
Space is limited
so apply now!Apply Here
Check us out on Facebook!Gogebic TRIO Facebook Page
What can the Trio Program do for you?
- First Generation College Student: A student, neither of whose parents have completed a four-year college degree (baccalaureate degree) during the student's formative years. In the event that one parent supports the student, eligibility will be determined based on the supporting parent's degree status.
- Income: A student who meets current TAXABLE income guidelines as defined by the U.S. Department of Education. Please contact an SSS staff member concerning income guidelines for eligibility.
- Documented Disability: A student with a documented disability that limits her/his ability to participate in college. Students are also encouraged to access disability related accommodations.
TRiO-SSS takes several all-expenses paid campus visits to transfer institutions each semester.
Sign up in ACES to attend!
Upcoming Campus Visits: NMU Friday March 24th
TRIO Lunch & Learns
Each semester, TRiO hosts a variety of lunch and learns. Topics have included: Bystander Intervention Training, The Importance of Networking & Internships, Financial Aid, Career Assessments, and more!
Chicago Spring Break Trip 2023
TRiO SSS Peer Mentoring Program
The goal of the TRiO SSS Peer Mentor Program is to support new TRiO-SSS participants by pairing them with upper class students who have similar majors, experiences, or interests. TRiO-SSS Peer Mentors will assist students with their transition to GCC by connecting students to the broader campus community and resources, providing tutoring, and positive one-on-one interactions. Participating and utilizing the TRiO-SSS Peer Mentor Program can positively contribute to the academic experience and success for both mentor and mentee. Ask a TRiO staff member about becoming a mentor or mentee!
Benefits of the TRiO SSS Peer Mentoring Program:
- Engaging in valuable peer-to-peer meetings
- Asking questions to receive additional advice, guidance and support
- Becoming better acclimated with campus and its resources
- Mentee introductions to faculty and staff
- Opportunity to volunteer and create professional networks with various organizations
- Personally being invited to join mentors in TRiO-SSS events, campus activities, academic workshops, club meetings and cultural events
CAR 103 Careers & Life Skills
This course is designed, through many proven strategies, to help students create greater success in college, career, and in life. By participating in class activities, focused conversations, and guided journal writings, students will advance their ability to improve their outcomes. The course will focus on students accepting personal responsibility, discovering self-motivation, mastering self-management, employing interdependence, gaining self-awareness, adopting lifelong learning, developing emotional intelligence, and staying focused through crisis.
CAR 103 is a free course available only to TRiO students. The course also counts for 2 Social Science credits.
Students who successfully complete CAR 103 are eligible for supplemental grant aid. Grant Aid ranges from $600-$1200. Students can receive grant aid for up to 4 semesters after completion of CAR 103. In order to qualify for grant aid a student must:
- Successfully complete CAR 103 with a C grade or higher
- Be receiving a Pell Grant
- Have unmet need