Open Educational Resources
These databases are a good starting point to find a wide variety of open educational resources.
The Metafinder allows you to simultaneously search across OER content across 21 major resources.
CCCOER is a joint effort by the OER Center for California and many other community colleges and university partners. Users can broadly search open textbook, open courseware, open access journals, digital media, and subject-specific materials easily.
OER Commons is a public digital library of open educational resources. This database lets you to search by subject, education level, media format, and more.
The MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning & Online Teaching) system is a large collection of free and open online teaching and learning materials including textbook, case studies, tutorials, and more.
Openly Available Sources Integrated Search (OASIS) currently searches open content from 117 different sources and contains 380,000+ records.
Open access books
- Open textbook library provides a growing collection of free and openly-licensed textbooks. Users can search, download, edit, and distributed the textbook in different disciplines at no cost. Covers most subject areas.
- Directory of open access books covers more than 32,000 academic peer-reviewed books from 400+ publishers.
- BCCampus includes open textbooks for the top 40 highest-enrolled subject areas in British Columbia areas.
- OpenStax has published more than 20 open source, peer-reviewed, textbooks in common undergraduate subjects like Algebra, History, and Psychology.
- Libretexts is a leading, non-commercial open textbook organization initiated at the University of California, Davis. It includes more than 700 books and learning materials in 13 disciplines. All Libretexts libraries are accessible to everyone via the internet, completely free.
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations covers theses and dissertations published around the world. Matada includes over graduate 1100 colleges, universities, and research institutions cover 1100 colleges, universities, and research institutions.
Humanities and Social Sciences
- ACLS Humanities E-Book (HEB) is a digital collection of over 5,400 seminal books in the humanities and related social sciences.
Science and Mathematics
- arXiv is a free distribution service and an open-access archive for scholarly articles in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, statistics, electrical engineering and systems science, and economics.
Additional open book portals
- Cornell Open is a global open access portal for both new and classic out-of-print titles from the distinguished catalog of Cornell University Press.
- eScholarship, open access repository at University of California, contains books, journals, , theses, and multimedia.
- Galileo Open Learning Materials brings together open educational resources throughout the University System of Georgia, including open textbooks and ancillary materials.
- InTech is a multidisciplinary open access publisher of books and journals covering the fields of Science, Technology and Medicine.
- JSTOR Open Access Books has more than 6,500 Open Access ebooks from 90 publishers now available at no cost to libraries or users.
- Orange Grove Text Plus (OGT+) collection features over 160 textbooks covering a wide range of disciplines available for instant PDF download.
- Open SUNY Textbooks is an open textbook publishing initiative established by State University of New York libraries.
- USG Open Textbooks collects open textbooks created by institutions within the University System of Georgia.
Open access journals
- Directory of Open Access Journals covers free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals. Readers can access the articles including subjects such as science, technology, medicine, social science and humanities.
- Elsevier Open Access Journals have undergone peer review and upon acceptance are immediately and permanently free for everyone to read and download.
- JSTOR Open Access Journals covers topical areas in sustainability and security studies, and offer broad coverage in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- PubMed Central is a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).
- Public Library of Science (PLoS) is an open access publisher of a suite of peer-reviewed journals across all areas of science and medicine.
- Sage Open covers articles in humanities, social sciences, and behavioral sciences.
- SpringerOpen includes 200+ peer-reviewed fully open access journals across all areas of science.
- Wiley Open Access Journals publishes peer reviewed open access journals across many research disciplines.