Gogebic Community College

Veteran Services

We welcome you and thank you for your service



At GCC, we are committed to boldly serving those that served. 

Military and Veterans Services at GCC provides guidance and mentorship for veterans, those still serving and their family members. Services include: 

Dedicated Student Success Advising

Academic support

Career services

Counseling and accessibility services

GI benefits and in-state tuition

Student Veterans of America (SVA)

You may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) if you are currently serving in the military, have served in the past, or are a dependent of someone who has. Gogebic Community College (GCC) actively assists eligible students with applying their educational benefits towards a GCC degree. 

                When preparing to apply for admission make sure to complete the following:

  1. Determine which federal VA Education Benefit Program(s) you qualify for.
  2. Gather the information and paperwork needed for your benefit program.
  3. Complete the Education Benefits Application Process.
  4. Request copies of your discharge papers/separation documents (DD214).
  5. Have official copies of your military transcripts sent to Gogebic.

In order to certify enrollment through the VA, the student must have completed the steps listed above, the admission process, registered for courses, completed the request for benefits form, and submitted additional documentation dependent on the qualifying chapter (30, 31, 33, 35, 1606). All forms must be submitted to the Veteran Certifying Official, who is located in the Dean of Students Office. The additional documents that need to be submitted to the Veteran Certifying Official include: Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), DD-214, VA Certificate of Eligibility, and should you be changing your place of training it is necessary to complete VA Form 22-1995 (Ch. 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 1606) or VA Form 22-5495 (Ch. 35 only). These forms are available at www.va.gov/vaforms/.

GCC's Veteran Certifying Official does not make determinations of eligibility, nor are they able to discuss specific remuneration amounts with you. You should contact your VA representative with eligibility questions. If you're not sure who your VA representative is, you can obtain further information by calling 1 (888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

In order for Gogebic Community College to evaluate and award credits for your military experience, you must request your military transcript and have it sent to the Admissions Office.

The VA highly recommends that all benefit-eligible students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for financial aid.  Refer to the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act, Section 702 for tuition requirements.

The VA Certifying Official at GCC is Karen Ball, Registrar. She will be happy to help answer any questions or refer you to the appropriate agency. She can be reached by e-mail at karenball@gogebic.edu or 906-307-1219.

  • Once your schedule is final you may complete the GCC Request for Benefits form.
  • Check to be sure all areas have been addressed correctly before submitting.
  • Any additional documents must be sent to the GCC Veterans Certifying Official in order to complete the process.
  • You must complete a new GCC Request for Benefits form, after registering for classes, for each semester you plan to use VA Educational Benefits.

CLICK here for request for benefits form.


Scenic Background