Gogebic Community College

First Time in College Students


First time in college students are high school graduates without prior college experience. 

1. Apply for admission or request a paper application to be sent to you. Request your high school transcript from your high school or submit your GED scores to the Admissions Office.

2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Over 70% of our students receive some type of financial aid.  

3. Complete the scholarship application after December 15 for the upcoming Fall/Spring semesters. 

4. First time students are required to complete the college assessment test or submit ACT or SAT scores (if taken within the last three years). This helps us determine the appropriate placement for student success.  To schedule the placement test in Ironwood, call (906) 307-1209 or (906) 483-0070 in Houghton. 

5. Contact your student services advisor to register for classes, after April 1 for the Fall semester, after November 1 for the Spring semester and summer session. 

6. Attend an in person orientation or complete it online prior to your first semester. (August for fall or January for Spring).  


Scenic Background