What is Medical Assisting?
Medical Assisting consists of multi-skilled practitioners who complete a wide range of roles in physician's offices and health care settings. They are viewed as partners in increasing medical office productivity because they are versatile in both administrative and clinical duties. Administrative duties include such tasks as answering phones, greeting patients, updating and filing medical records, completing insurance forms, scheduling appointments, billing and bookkeeping. Clinical duties include such tasks as collecting and preparing laboratory specimens, patient history taking, phlebotomy, performing electrocardiograms, and other basic testing procedures. According to the US Department of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook, medical assisting will be one of the fastest growing occupations in the United States in the decade from 2014 to 2024.
All applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
- ACT score of 18 or higher or;
- Compass score = ENG 101 or ENG 105 or higher placement
- ACT score of 17 or higher
- SAT score of 23 or higher
- Accuplacer at MTH 103 or higher
- Keyboarding Skills: 25 words per minute
Gogebic Community College offers a full time certificate program for Medical Assisting. It runs two consecutive semesters, with the practicum experience running in the summer semester. The program begins each August and classes are held on the main campus in Ironwood with some online classes. Practicum sites are located in Ironwood and the surrounding areas.
**Applicants need to be aware that any history of misdemeanor and/or felony conviction or past abuse may make them ineligible to meet clinical requirements, thus being unable to complete the program. **
Graduate students will be eligible to sit for a national medical assisting certification exam.
Medical Assisting Program - 1 year
- COL 102 College & Career Readiness 1 credit
- BIO 105 Anatomy and Physiology 4 credits
- HED 105 Medical Terminology 2 credits
- CMA 100 Administrative Office Procedures 3 credits
- CMA 102 Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 4 credits
- CMA 136 Pharmacology for MA 2 credits
TOTAL FALL SEMESTER CREDITS 16 Credits
- CMA 101 Administrative Office Procedures 3 credits
- CMA 103 Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2 4 credits
- CMA 104 MA Office Lab and Phlebotomy 4 credits
- CMA 105 Practicum 4 credits
TOTAL SPRING SEMESTER CREDITS 15 Credits
TOTAL PROGRAM CREDITS 31 Credits
For more information contact Claire Grzenia,
Allied Health (Health Careers) Coordinator
Phone 1.800.682.5910 ext. 224