Head Nordic Ski Coach
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a part-time coed Head Nordic Ski Coach. Working hours are flexible. The starting salary is $8,886. The chosen candidate is eligible to reside in GCC’s campus suites year-round at the expense of the college, but candidates are not required to live on-campus. The Head Nordic Ski Coach at Gogebic Community College is responsible for all aspects of the program from the recruitment and coaching of skiers to the scheduling of contests to oversight team travel. The head coach assumes full day-to-day responsibility for the maintenance and care of our ski team while doing so to build and maintain a nationally competitive program. Qualified candidates will have demonstrable knowledge of the sport as well as the communication and organizational skills required to develop and sustain a successful program. Candidates must be committed to building a program that values both the academic and competitive successes of our student-athletes. This position reports to the Director of the Lindquist Student Conference Center and Athletics. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coach Nordic Skiing.
- Recruit and retain a roster of 16-20 student athletes annually—8 to 10 women and 8 to 10 men.
- Oversee the operations of the Nordic Ski team responsibly and ethically while serving as the College’s liaison to the local and regional Nordic skiing community.
- Monitor the academic performance of all team members each semester and connect student-athletes with necessary academic resources as needed.
- Develop a competitive event schedule within the MCSA as well as other local events as able.
- Plan for competition, travel and recruitment in a fiscally responsible manner. Submit travel plans and financial reports and request to the Athletic Director as requested.
- Remain in compliance with MCSA and NJCAA rules, when applicable.
- Establish annual fundraising events like camps and clinics to enhance and supplement the operational and scholarship opportunities available to student-athletes.
- Demonstrated experience with student-athlete retention and recruitment strategies.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be committed to developing, maintaining and promoting all program work with a “student-first” mentality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of successful Nordic ski coaching experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Associates Degree.
- Head coaching experience at the high school varsity, club or collegiate level.
- Collegiate skiing experience.
- Experience with the recruitment of international students.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and stand for long periods of time. The employee frequently is required to use a computer; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required of moving, lifting and jumping and otherwise demonstrating the physical skills required of a collegiate player. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds frequently. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, far vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an indoor non-air-conditioned facility and regularly work in outdoor cold weather conditions. This position requires evening hours, weekend hours and overnight trips.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all of the following in one email or mailed envelope:
- a letter of interest
- a detailed resume
- three references with current contact information
- GCC application for employment
- unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
- other relevant material to:
Director of Human Resources, Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
The College will conduct all interviews via video conference during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Click here to see the College’s response to COVID-19 https://gogebic.edu/