Emergency Medical Services
Would you enjoy a fast pace career? One that provides you with the opportunity to make quick decisions that help people in need. Consider a career in Emergency Medical Services.
GCC offers training in Emergency Medical Technician and Continuing Education Credits.
Training funds could be available for Michigan residents through UP Michigan Works!Schedule a meeting to see if you qualify
Emergency Medical Technician Basic Course
Starting October 3rd, GCC will be offering an Emergency Medical Technician Basic Course. This course provides theory, laboratory, and clinical training and prepares students to stabilize and safely transport patients needing emergency services. Students will learn how to use a wide variety of skills and equipment and also learn how to provide safe, quality care in the current healthcare environment.
The EMT-Basic training will prepare students to provide care to patients in a variety of pre-hospital settings, and will cover safety, a variety of injuries, and assessment. Students will learn about their responsibilities as an EMT, stress management, scene safety, safety precautions, legal and ethical issues, anatomy and physiology, body mechanics, assessment, pharmacology, maintenance of an airway, resuscitation, communication, trauma and medical emergencies, as well as how to handle a crash scene.
Successful completion of this course allows students who are eligible to apply to the National Registry to take the licensure exam for EMT Basic.
- 18 years of age (or be 18 prior to licensing exam) – State Minimum Requirement
- Uniforms_____________________________________$20.00 plus tax
- Books (2 options, you only need to choose ONE book option)
Flipped Classroom Premier Bundle w/ text____$554.95 plus tax
Flipped Classroom Premier Bundle w/etext___$494.99 plus tax
- Background Checks___________________________$63.00
- Additional Costs
- Students without up to date immunizations may incur additional costs to meet requirements.
- After passing the course, students will be eligible to sit for the National Registry Exam and will pay the fee for the exam as an additional cost. (The Registry Exam fee is currently $98)
- Monday and Wednesday 6:00pm -10:00pm (4 Hours) and one Saturday per month 10:00am - 6:00pm
- In-Person learning will take place in room A326.
- Clinical Experiences are scheduled with the instructor on an individual basis.
- October 3, 2022 - March 4, 2023
Students must be up to date on immunizations and pass a criminal background check prior to entering clinical areas. Completion of the course does not guarantee eligibility for state examination. Past criminal conviction may interfere with eligibility. The student is responsible for assuring eligibility for testing, and should contact the Michigan Department of Consumer and Industry Services at (517) 241-3018 with questions.
- Robert Kirkley and Cory Roell
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
Lectures will also be available via ITV in: Iron River and Ontonagon, MI
REGISTRATION: Your application must be received and adequate enrollment must be insured in order to conduct the course. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. You may assume you are enrolled in the class unless you are notified to the contrary.
Payment is due no later than two weeks before the first class session.
Please note that minimum age requirements may vary among the regional EMS Service Providers. Students wishing to seek employment from a specific employer are encouraged to verify age requirements.