GOGEBIC COMMUNITY COLLEGE • E 4946 Jackson Road Ironwood MI 49938 • P: 800.682.5910   

Veterans Benefits

A student may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) if they are currently serving in the military, have served in the past, or are a dependent of someone who has. Gogebic Community College (GCC) actively assists eligible students with applying their educational benefits towards a GCC degree.

GCC's VA Certifying Official does not make determinations of eligibility, nor is she able to discuss specific remuneration amounts with eligible students. Students should contact their VA representative with eligibility questions. If a student is not sure of who their VA representative is, they can obtain further information by calling 1 (888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

In order to initiate your Veteran's education benefits, a student must apply for benefits using the VA online application portal at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/. There is also a new tool available for military personnel and veterans to compare the value of their GI Bill benefits at schools across the country. You can access this tool by going to http://wdt.me/GI-Comparison-Tool.

The VA highly recommends that all benefit-eligible students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for financial aid.

Once a student has completed the admission process and registered for courses, they are required to complete the Request for VA Certification form to request to use their benefits. A student can obtain this form from the VA bulletin board outside of the Dean of Students office or from the VA Certifying Official in Room T104B. This form must be submitted to the Certifying Official before their enrollment will be certified.

In order for Gogebic Community College to evaluate and award any credits for your military experience, you must request your military transcript and have it sent to the Admissions Office. To request your military transcript, go to the Joint Services Transcript request form at https://jst.doded.mil/official.html

Joint Services Transcript covers all branches except Air Force. The Coast Guard is in the process of moving to the JST.

The VA Certifying Official at GCC is Miranda Lawver, Assistant Registrar & Institutional Researcher. She will be happy to help answer any questions or refer the student to the appropriate agency. She can be reached by e-mail at mirandal@gogebic.edu or 906-307-1337 or 1-800-682-5910, ext. 337.

Veterans Benefits :: Financial Aid :: Gogebic Community College
Small Campus ~ Big Thinking
Contact Us
Find us on Facebook Find us on Google+ Find us on Twitter Find us on Instagram Find us on Pinterest

Gogebic Community College • E-4946 Jackson Road, Ironwood, MI 49938
906.932.4231 • 800.682.5910 • info@gogebic.edu
© Copyright 2011 Gogebic Community College. All Rights Reserved.
Contact Us | Privacy | Site Map

Gogebic Community College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and educator.