GOGEBIC COMMUNITY COLLEGE • E 4946 Jackson Road Ironwood MI 49938 • P: 800.682.5910
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Students have the right to ask:
- What financial assistance is available, including information on federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs.
- What the cost of attendance is and what the policies are for students who withdraw.
- What criteria are used to select financial aid recipients and what the deadlines are for submitting applications.
- How financial need is determined. The process includes how costs for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal and miscellaneous expenses, etc. are considered in a budget.
- What resources (such as family contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.) are considered in calculating financial need.
- For an explanation of the various funds in their financial package. What portion of the aid received must be repaid and what portion is grant aid.
- How academic progress is determined and what happens if they are not making progress.
Students are responsible for:
- Reviewing information about programs at GCC before enrolling.
- Completing a financial aid application accurately and on time. Intentional misreporting on the application forms for federal financial aid is a violation of law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under U.S. Criminal Code. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year.
- Submitting all additional documentation, verification, corrections and/or new information requested.
- Reading and understanding all forms they are asked to sign and keeping copies of them. Accepting responsibility for all agreements signed.
- Informing the loan holder of changes in their name, address, or enrollment status if the student has borrowed a FFELP or Direct loan.
- Performing work in a satisfactory manner during participation in the Federal College Work-Study Program.
- Knowing and complying with deadlines for application and renewal application.
- Knowing and complying with refund procedures.
- Attending classes.